Everywhere I go in this state there are beautiful bundles of asparagus one more glorious then the next. The other wonderful surprise is how fresh they taste. Needless to say, I have been cooking it almost every night. The old stand-by is to toss with a little olive oil, fresh herbs,lemon and salt and pepper then roast in the oven on 350 until desired tenderness. I found this recipe in my inbox this am so I wanted to share it with you! The photo isn't the best but the recipe sounds easy and good. Substitute any veggies you like and skip chicken if you want it to be a veggie dish!!! I'm on the prowl for more asparagus recipes so watch out!
Penne with Asparagus and Chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Then stir in asparagus, garlic, and a pinch more garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover, and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.